What you need to do and think about before you move:
Post Office-Fill out change of address cards with a forwarding address.
- Notify Post Office-Fill out change of address cards with a forwarding address.
- Notify charge accounts and credit cards.
- Mail charge of address cards to subscribers.
- Notify banks; transfer funds, including checking accounts.
- Notify insurance companies.
- Inform service companies (water, gas, electricity, fuel, telephone, cable television) of the date youíll be leaving.
- Arrange for any refunds on deposits.
- Inform new utility and service companies of the address and date to start services (water, gas, electricity, fuel, telephone, cable television, ect.)
- Health information Ė Ask Doctors and dentists for referrals. Arrange to transfer medical records, prescriptions, and birth records.
- Notify school office and arrange to transfer records.
- Transfer memberships to church, civic organizations, Ask for letter of introductions.
- Notify Department of Motor Vehicles of new address for driverís license.
Moving and Packing Tips
Over the years we managed to pick up a few tricks. Whether we are helping you with your move or not, check out some of our moving tips:
- Tape boxes on top and bottom.
- Clearly label all of your boxes according to their content and handling instructions
- Towels and linens make excellent packing materials for fragile items.
- Cloth items can be left in drawers
- Bundle garden tools, fishing poles and the like together
- When packing breakables use a lot of news paper, bubble wrap, and other packing materials.
- Use linens or blankets for wrapping mirrors, pictures and such
- Always move cash, jewelry, and other precious items yourself
- Movers should not move any flammable materials such as gas, propane, ammo, etc
- Pack a box of cleaning supplies and keep it under the sink so itís not misplaced on moving day
- Once reconnected in your new place, always run the washer and dryer before the movers leave
- Pack things you will need right away (clothes, toiletries, phone, keys, current bills, important papers, et cetera) and move these yourself